It has been rather chilly here as of late. So for breakfast, I like to eat hot things. Today I fried up some potatoes and sausage. It`s great fun because when I breathe out at breakfast, it is like a explosion of steam. I get to be a dragon every morning inside my house!!!
I got my car. And insurance. And all that nonsense, so I have been thoroughly enjoying DRIVING. The hardest part about driving in Japan is not driving on the left hand side of the road. That is pretty easy to remember. The hard part is that the blinkers and windshield wipers are on opposite sides of the steering wheel than what I am used to. Luckily, I mentally prepared myself for this. So far, I haven't wiped my windows when I mean to turn that often. What is harder to remember is changing lanes. After I change and I go to turn my signal off-- I have hit my wipers quite a few times doing that lol.
With CAR comes ADVENTURES. like GETTING GAS. I pulled into the gas station yesterday and a nice Japanese man came over and helped me figure it all out (they even have an English option for all the buttons! But where`s the fun in that?) Anyway, the best part was he gave me a box of donuts before I left. Being a cute, young, blonde-haired foreigner in Japan certainly has its advantages!!!
The speed limits in Japan are ridiculously slow. The highway speed is posted at like 50 kph (yeah, I don't know what it is in miles. go look it up yourself :p) but NO ONE actually follows that. The first time I drove, I actually almost caused two accidents because I was going the posted speed. The two cars behind me were SO DESPERATE to pass me they almost collided with oncoming traffic. It was terrifying.
Most people go 20-30 kph over the posted speed. I play this game called Wolf and Rabbit. Where basically is just go a little bit slower than the car in front of you. It is fun. But there are a lot of rabbits that go too fast for me to feel comfortable at. EEP!
Jeri`s MOM flew in last night so we went on a grand adventure to pick her up. DRIVING. DARK. JAPANESE ROADS. and AWESOME TUNES. Plus FRIENDS made it lovely. There was a lot of hysterical giggling and general frivolity.
Also, small world? On the same flight as Jeri`s mom was a friend I had met a few weeks earlier at the Aki Matsuri! I was so surprised to see him there I am fairly certain I cam across as a complete idiot. LOL. well, not too far from the truth!! :D
In other news, with the colder weather the leaves have started turning colors. It already looks STUNNING and I am sure it will become even more so as fall continues to set in. I will take many pictures. Also, this weekend I am going to a Halloween party and performing in my town`s music festival!! (Too bad I cut off the tip of one of my fingers on Saturday!! I am hoping it heals enough to play before then haha)
And that`s it for now. No pictures because I am a horrible person and I am also at work.
Love!
Uhhh... 50 Kph is about 30 mph. So yeah here in the states we go 25 mph on surface streets it is hard to imagine that speed limit for their highway. Even at 80 kph that is only about 50 mph so yeah... very very slow.
ReplyDeleteYou're driving in Japan!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh no, I hope it heals! The music thing sounds like fun.... video it??
ReplyDeleteAnd free donuts. Awesome!!
I would be terrified to drive in Japan. You're so brave ;_;
You cut off your finger!?
ReplyDeleteAlso, Hollis about died when he got back from Japan because everyone was driving SO FAST. :)