Saturday, June 12, 2010

Another week gone by!

Time is flying by too fast. I have so much I want to do! It's so hard because we really only have Saturdays to sight-see, but we're also so busy we need Saturdays to plan our lessons and stuff!! Not to mention study for the classes we're taking...!! AH! Also, doing research/edited the textbooks we have takes up a lot of time too. On top of planning lessons for the 301 classes I'm teaching, I'm also now in the process of rewriting the texts in a different/easier language for one of our classes. As it is now, the text really isn't appropriate for their levels. So that's got me busy

Not to mention is was really hot today!! 28 C and 65-70% humidity!! I don't mind it so much if I'm moving about and doing things (even if I'm walking around in it) but sitting in a hot room trying to concentrate...! man I just can't do it!! haha

Class was great this week. We finished up the 201 textbook, and our students gave a presentation. We had them choose a story and teach a 5-8 minute Sunday School lesson on it. It was really great to see them work so hard and use such great English! Hurrah!!

After class on Friday, I brought the class a present from Becca (who was gone visiting her husband in Nagoya): SALT WATER TAFFY. Candy from AMERICA. Three of our students are taking the Eiken, and Enlish-test, this weekend. They need to pass grade 2-A in order to go to BYU Hawaii. So we fed them AMERICAN CANDY to improve their English skillz. I guess we'll see if it works. Haha.

They were all really wary of it at first. And it didn't help the the first one Ryo ate was black licorice flavored. He was over-dramatic and scared everyone else off for a while, but eventually we got them eating the ones that DO NOT TASTE LIKE NASTY. (I'm not a big black licorice fan :p)

After class we "cleaned up the church," which very soon digressed to us forming a broom-guitar rock band. And me making a fool of myself (like usual!) by belting our Disney songs.

After all the fake jamming, we decided Karaoke was in order. And by "we" I really mean "Yoshi and I." Kazune lead us to a place in Chuukagai (China town!) which was way fun, although prettttty pricey (it WAS a friday night?) anyway, Yoshi and I belted out lots of songs and I failed half of half of them. Oops. Well, at least now I'm all practiced and ready for the next run!!

Also got to see some of Yokohama at night. We're always leaving by 6:00 but I got permission to stay out late. So it was nice to walk around the city. We went to a park we walk by every day. But it turned out to be more of a really long paved/tile strip. With no real benches. Ahahaha. But still. It felt nice to look up at the sky and tall buildings and dream of secret gardens on the top of those skyscrappers.

SATURDAY brought about lots of junbi. But not nearly as much as we wanted. Or needed, really. OOPS. The Saitos took us to an AMAZING Chinese restaurant in Chukagai. And this was like... full-on AWESOMENESS. It was like a 7-8 course meal. The fanciest thing I've prolly ever had in my life haha. It was so much fun and OH SO DELICIOUS. We hard shark fin soup, too. :P HEE HEE. The Saitos are good friends with the owners, so they paid special attention to us and were SUPER nice.

I think I drank about 30 glasses of water while I was there. I think I have a drinking problem. When there is water in front of me I MUST DRINK IT. and of course the servers were very attentive to us, so they KEPT FILLING IT UP. But at least I'm really hydrated!! to make up for all the SWEAT I have bee nSWEATING.

We got home EXTREMELY stuff and what do we find in our room? A GOKIBURI! That means COCKROACH my dears. Luckily we had a boy in the house, so we chased him around a bunch and finally caught him in a plastic container of Seth's. Then we released him into the wild and promptly disposed of anything possibly food-related to discourage future visitors.

Best of all-- tonight, after a month and a half in Japan, I was finally able to enter the Japanese OFURO: bath. There is nothing more relaxing than a Japanese bath. Simply heavenly.

What more could I want in life?? Karaoke, food, bath... :) Life is good guys, life is good.

All my lovin'

--Jejira

3 comments:

  1. Oh, karaoke, how I miss thee!
    And that chuukagai restaurant - the Saito's took us there, too. It's stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so much fun! I'm glad you're enjoying your time in Japan. And gross on the cockroach,I would have flushed it or something. You are far more human than I.

    ReplyDelete