Sunday, February 28, 2010

Title

I wonder why it's so hard for people to be sincere. To mean what you say. To do what you mean. To not do things you don't mean.
Maybe I'm part of the minority here, but when I ask someone "How are you?" I really mean it. I want to know how they're doing. If they're happy, if they're sad. What they've been up to. I guess what I really mean is "Tell me about your life!" Maybe I'll just start saying that from now on.
I guess I just don't like how the phrase has become so meaningless. People ask it, but then if you actually answer they're surprised/creeped out/ etc. What's the worst, though, is when someone asks how you're doing, but doesn't wait or listen for an answer.
I'm so willing to let people into my life-- to show them who I am, what I dream, what I hope for; the things that make me more than a face-- but so few people are actually interested in real depth these days.

Dear Optimism,
Where are you? Come back. I miss you.
Yours,
Jessica

1 comment:

  1. I hate that too. I go to answer but the askee is... walking away? What? Hello?

    Feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete