Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I've never been a blogger...

But because Chuck once said she'd like to read a blog of mine, I decided I'll give it a try.

A lot has happened in my life the past few months. I fell in love, an entirely new experience for me. I got engaged. I went to Japan. I came home and removed the ring from my hand. I ran home and am trying to nurse my crazy and confused mind.

I flew home yesterday. The affair was supposed to involve two flights-- one to San Fran (opposite direction from Pasco, really) and then another to Pasco. Get in at 9:00 pm. Not the most convenient itinerary, but still, it was free-- for me at least. My parents, after hearing my late-night sobbing phone calls for several days straight, where quite anxious to get me home. But those were my travel plans. The first flight was running a little late-- only about 15 minutes or so, but I had a 30 minute connection to make in San Fran. A wonderfully kind lady working re-routed me on a non-stop delta flight leaving about two hours later. I was okay with that. I like non-stop flights. Especially when I had two carry-ons completely stuffed with clothes so that I would only have to check one bag (save money, you know).

The flight from Salt Lake to Pasco is a little over an hour. It's very convenient. My seat-mate was a fantastically fun black American-Sign-Language interpreter from Georgia. We talked the entire flight, which when you include taxiing, take-off, landing, etc, probably neared about two hours. We talked about all sorts of things-- languages, Japan, Southern hospitality, family, school... etc. We even talked about my complicated relationship status.

I warned him that Pasco would not look at all like Georgia. And that it was rather boring with nothing really exciting to go see. but oh, how I love the Tri-Cities. I took a step off that plane and felt the wide sky soaring up like glass dome and coming around me in an embrace. Oh desert air with a hint of manure. Not the usually smell, but still so very welcome. I had been surprised by Provo's openness after getting back from Japan, but it does not even compare to how light and free the skyline is here. We have hills. But the ground is yellow and sky so desert blue. I love it here.

Now I have to mend the frayed connectors in my brain. Take deep breaths and walk to nowhere for a very long time. Lay in the sun.

"I want to heal. I want to peel off these bandages and lay in the sun. The sun will heal me. The sun is warm. I'm trying to remember-- isn't this the sun? Isn't this the sun? Isn't this the..."

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Jessica! It will all work out for the best--I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete