Very good goals. Regarding responding to "suggestions" (aka criticisms), a key is to focus on what is being said (the message), not why you think it is being said (the intent, e.g., they think I'm ..., they think I did ..., they are so insensitive and mean, etc.). Set your ego and self-worth aside in a safe place where they can't be attacked by the intent of the criticism and evaluate only the message. Would this help me to become a better person? To become my best self? Do I have the resources (time, energy, will) for dealing with it? Then decide your response, whether to change something or not. I've got a great book for you to read when you get back (or CD to listen to...). Love, Dad
Very good goals. Regarding responding to "suggestions" (aka criticisms), a key is to focus on what is being said (the message), not why you think it is being said (the intent, e.g., they think I'm ..., they think I did ..., they are so insensitive and mean, etc.). Set your ego and self-worth aside in a safe place where they can't be attacked by the intent of the criticism and evaluate only the message. Would this help me to become a better person? To become my best self? Do I have the resources (time, energy, will) for dealing with it? Then decide your response, whether to change something or not. I've got a great book for you to read when you get back (or CD to listen to...). Love, Dad
ReplyDeleteNot that I'm very good at it - I usually just get defensive!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks Uncle Rick! That helps me a lot. I'll need to work on it. And Jessica, be yourself and don't care that others hate you.
ReplyDelete